There are a lot of opinions out there about ideal survival equipment and what exactly everyone needs in a disaster. Regardless of preference, every survival kit is made of the same essentials: fire, shelter, water, signaling, and food gathering. Many kits include basic items for these needs yet there are some survival accessories that can make things a lot easier. Few consider duct tape or paracord to be a survival essential despite both items having infinite uses!
Surprisingly, few companies sell military-grade paracord. Although paracord is available on survival websites, few feature paracord with the same strength characteristics used by the military. True paracord has a "breaking strength" of 550 pounds - explaining why the most commonly used paracord is often referred to as "550 Paracord". Here are two simple ways to determine Real US MilSpec Paracord:
- Genuine MIL-SPEC MIL-C-5040 Type III Paracord can be opened on one end by unraveling an inch or so. Pull back on the outer sheath (the colored nylon covering) to reveal the inner strands. Genuine MilSpec Paracord has exactly seven yarns, each made up of 3 separate strands. One of the yarns will be a different color and there is no other filler or inner core. Inferior "commercial" grade cords have 7 or less yarns made up of two strands and no contrasting yarn colors.
- You can also ask the paracord supplier for the "Certificate of Compliance". If they are selling real paracord, they'll know exactly what you're asking for. Each Certificate of Compliance will have the manufacturer's name, the type of Paracord, and the date of manufacture for that lot. There's sometimes a statement that certifies that the Paracord was manufactured according to specifications with more detailed information.
Commercial Paracord may be a useful item for non-critical uses and projects, but military-quality paracord offers infinite survival uses. Genuine MilSpec Paracord is essential when reliability, safety, and quality cannot be questioned. Best Glide A.S.E. Inc. will always proudly provide a current certificate whenever requested.
There are many brands of duct tape available but commercial-grade duct tape is essential to any survival kit. Best Glide A.S.E. Inc. offers a few types of duct tape that can be purchased independently or as a part of our many assembled survival kits.
- Avoid inexpensive or decorative duct tapes as they tend to be less reliable
- Consider keeping a small roll of mini survival repair tape for survival uses
- For heavy-duty jobs, consider Tenacious Repair Tape for its super-aggressive stick and clean adhesive technology
- Survivalists often refer to "100 MPH Tape"; I have no personal experience but many experienced survivalists endorse its use
Both of these items can be extremely helpful while also being compact and extremely versatile. Each has endless uses that are limited only by the imagination. You can use duct tape to repair equipment, mend a shelter, or even treat a medical emergency. Paracord can do everything, including gathering food, building shelter, and assisting with first aid. The tiny fibers can even be used as sewing material! Duct tape is already recognized for its usefulness, try imagining what it can do for you in the field. You can learn more about how paracord can assist survival here.
"Fortuna favet præparaverat - Fortune Favors the Prepared!"
This entry was posted on January 4, 2013 by Patrick Carey.